What is it with Pickup Drivers and Turn Signals? Cell phones and driving?

Ok I will admit, initially I was just blaming the good folks of Texas for their inept ability to use their turn signals. Then I realized this was a real problem with Pickup Driver/Owners. A recent trip to Louisiana however, made me realize it wasn't just a Texas thing. Those with Louisiana plates who drove Pickups were also not signalling.  I place the average as 9 out of 10 would NOT signal. 

So what's the deal?  I've driven a Pickup. I don't own one, but I have certainly driven them and I'm pretty sure my driving habits do not change as I signal all the time. Now I realize the cell phone usage down South appears to be at an all time epidemic with texting or just plain usage while driving so that could explain the inability to hit the turn signal as you have to have one hand on the wheel supposedly. But why is this predominant with Pickup drivers?

I'll leave the phone usage while driving for another rant/post as that is just stupid! 

...or maybe I won't....

What blows my mind is how each county appears to have its own rules on driving with cell phones and in those areas that don't allow it, it apparently is still ok when you are at a stop light!  I don't know how many times I have found myself laying on the horn after a light turns green and we sit for what seems like more than 10 seconds. I'm usually pretty polite when it comes to horn usage with a little beep beep. Whenever I am in a multiple lane stop and I look at cars next to me on both sides, they are almost always looking at their phone!  Then there are the signs through school zones, stating that a fine for cell phone usage to a maximum of $1200.  Huh?  So we are worried about what? Hitting a kid? What about all the other roads, I'm pretty sure there are kids there too, not to mention other human beings!  Sometimes I just have to shake my head at the rules of the road in various counties/states.

Bluetooth technology has been around for a very long time. Most cars built after about 2010 all have bluetooth built in to their sound system so it is not that hard to put your phone down and drive while talking through your sound system. If that is not convenient for you then get yourself a bluetooth earpiece. Not only will that prevent the rest of the riders in the car from listening to your conversation, it will all you to keep that music turned on while you drive.. after all, what's a little more distraction!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Once In A Blue Moon!

3 Million Views Of My Photos!

Happy Shortest Day of the Year!